THE PS OF AUDITIONS
THE “P”S INCLUDE:
- Choose an appropriate song for your age and voice type.
- Bring a CD, mp3 player or sheet music with your accompaniment. A pianist will be at auditions to play your sheet music, or your can bring your own pianist.
- Don’t be afraid to try whatever the director or music director ask you to do vocally at your audition! They may ask you to sing a simple song with the piano (ex. Happy Birthday to You) or pitch test you (sing higher or lower than your are used to). They want to see what you can do and try to fit you in the cast of the musical.
Personality and Poise
- Be confident.
- Introduce yourself and tell the panel what you are singing.
- Be polite.
- Say “thank you”.
- Show Personality in a positive way (not loud or boisterous).
- Stand Proud and Sing Loud.
- Open your mouth.
- Enunciate: speak clearly so you can be understood.
- If the director and music director cannot hear you speak or sing, they will not know how good you sound!
- Memorize your song – you will sing for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Practice with your accompaniment music! Practice while looking at yourself in a mirror!
- Wear appropriate clothing to your audition – don’t dress up, but have a clean and neat appearance.
- Be on time – bring your accompaniment CD/mp3 player or arrive with your accompanist.
THE “P”S DO NOT INCLUDE
- We’re not expecting you to be perfect – just do your best.
- We’re looking for YOU, don’t imitate someone else.
- It’s okay if you mess up in your song – don’t get upset. You can even start over if you need to.
- Don’t try to impress the judges by imitating others-just be yourself.
SONG SUGGESTIONS FOR AUDITIONS
Research and use music from:
- Broadway Musicals
- Animated Movies
- Disney Books
- Children’s Music Books
- Church Musicals or Hymns
- Patriotic Song Books
- Folk Songs
AUDITION SONG GUIDELINES
The latest pop songs, rap songs, and currents hits are NOT recommended for audition pieces. Also, DO NOT choose a piece from the musical you are auditioning for. And DO NOT sing ‘Let It Go’ from Frozen (trust us, artistic staff members do not want to hear it any more!).
SONG SUGGESTIONS and IDEAS: Listen to these and try them or others like them. These are just IDEAS of the type of songs the casting staff will want to hear you sing.
- Any Dream will Do – Joseph & Technicolor
- Maybe – Annie
- My Favorite Things – Sound of Music
- Colors of the Wind – Pocahontas
- Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin’ – Oklahoma
- Comedy Tonight – A Funny Thing Happened…..
- Over the Rainbow – Wizard of Oz
- Consider Yourself – Oliver
- Cruella de Vil – 101 Dalmatians
- Put on a Happy Face – Bye Bye Birdie
- Do-Re-Mi – Sound of Music
- Santa Fe – Newsies
- Ev’rybody Wants to Be a Cat – Aristocats
- Shenandoah – traditional folk tune
- Take Me out to the Ballgame-Traditional song
- Gary, Indiana – The Music Man
- The Candy Man – Willy Wonka
- Get me to the Church on Time – My Fair Lady
- The Work Song (Cinderella, Cinderella) – Cinderella
- Goodnight My Someone – The Music Man
- This Land is your Land – traditional folk tune
- Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho-it’s Off to Work We Go – Snow White
- Try to Remember – The Fantasticks
- I Don’t Need Anything but You – Annie
- Under the Sea – Little Mermaid
- I Got the Sun in the Morning – Annie Get Your Gun
- We’re Off to See the Wizard – Wizard of Oz
- I Whistle a Happy Tune – The King and I
- When the Saints Go Marching In – Traditional
- I’d do Anything – Oliver
- When You Wish upon a Star – Pinocchio
- If I Only had a Brain/Heart/Nerve – Wizard of Oz
- Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf-3 little Pigs
- You’ll be in My Heart – Tarzan
- In my Own Little Corner – Cinderella
- You’ve Got a Friend in Me – Toy Story
- It’s the Hard Knock Life – Annie
- Zippity Doo-Dah – Song of the South
- Live Out Loud – A Little Princess
- Luck Be a Lady – Guys& Dolls
EASY LEVEL for younger kids:
- Good Ship Lollipop
- Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho
- How Much is that Doggie in the Window?
- If You’re Happy and You Know It
- I’ve Been Working on the Railroad
- Jesus Loves Me
- My Favorite Things
- Puff the Magic Dragon
- She’ll Be Comin’ ‘Round the Mountain
- Take Me Out to the Ballgame
- This Land is Your Land
- This Old Man
- When the Saints Go Marching In
- Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf
- Yankee Doodle
- Zippity Doo-Dah